Skip navigation

Engineering Counter Services

The Engineering Department's Counter Service Desk, located on the 2nd floor of City Hall, offers many services to the residents of Surrey. However, a trip to City Hall isn't always necessary.

Please see below for some of the most common requests we handle.

Can't find what you're looking for? Contact Engineering Customer Services at or 604-591-4340.

Land Development Application

Get an overview of the land development application process in Surrey.

Demolish & Rebuild a House

Find out how to demolish and rebuild a house in Surrey.

Build a House with a Basement

To build a basement home, first check to see if the service connections are deep enough.

Finding a Lot Size

To find out a lot size, go into COSMOS, Surrey's GIS mapping system, enter the address under Address Search, and then click the "Property Report" (house) icon at the top of the page.

Insurance Certificates

The City of Surrey maintains an Insurance Certificate program to ensure that contractors and their brokers are aware of and can comply with the requirements under the contract.

As-Constructed Drawings & Underground Infrastructure

Search for as-contructed drawings for working on underground infrastructure using COSMOS. 

Driveway Permit

See the requirements to build or widen a driveway on a single family or duplex residence in Surrey.

Traffic Obstruction Permit

A permit is required to temporarily close any road, cycling, or pedestrian facility in the city.

Noise Extension Bylaw Permit

A permit is required for the extension of noise when constructing, altering or demolishing any building or structure.

Water Fill Stations

Learn where to find several water fill stations located around the city you can use during construction.

Drinking Water Connections

View instructions on how to connect to the City's water distribution system.

Oversize & Overweight Load Permits

Find out how to apply for an Overweight and Oversize Permit for your truck.

Service Connections & Sewer Extensions

Find out what you need to connect your property to the sanitary sewer system.

Filling in a Ditch

Learn how to infill or enclose a ditch in Surrey.

Soil, Erosion & Sediment Control Permits

Learn what permits are required for soil issues and preventing erosion.

Moving Containers or Construction Waste Bins

To place moving containers or construction waste bins on City property, a permit may be required.

Working with Asbestos Pipes

If you are working with, or in close proximity to, asbestos-containing cement pipes, then you must comply with WorkSafeBC requirements and submit a WorkSafeBC Notice of Project: Asbestos Form. Review the following documents for more information:

Important Engineering Resources and Documents

The following information guides provide an overview of various requirements of the Surrey Engineering Department. These guides provide general information only, and City bylaws and policies shall take precedence.

For more information on any of the above, contact Engineering Customer Services at or 604-591-4340.

Learn more about Surrey's Engineering Department.

Related Content

Report a Problem or Submit a Request

Report non-emergency problems or submit service requests online with a MySurrey account.

Waste Collection Services

Get access to waste collection schedules, report a collection problem and reduce waste.